Translate

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Recently Read - Short Story & Graphic Novel

So recently I read another graphic novel, but also a short story. I had some opinions on these two books, but not enough to write a full review on both so here they are together in one post!

The Dark by Lemony Snicket
# of pages: 40
Average Rating: 4.06/5 vs My Rating: 4/5

Summary according to goodreads

Laszlo is afraid of the dark. The dark is not afraid of Laszlo. 
Laszlo lives in a house. The dark lives in the basement. 
One night, the dark comes upstairs to Laszlo's room, and Laszlo goes down to the basement.
This is the story of how Laszlo stops being afraid of the dark.


My Thoughts

I got this book as an ebook from the library, and I was able to read it in about 15 minutes. The pictures in this short story were amazing, beautiful, and added a lot to this story. The author did a great job of writing a story that was kind of creepy, but had a relatable underlining meaning. 




Blankets by Craig Thompson
# of pages: 582
Average Rating: 4.08/5 vs My Rating: 2/5

Summary according to goodreads

Wrapped in the landscape of a blustery Wisconsin winter, Blankets explores the sibling rivalry of two brothers growing up in the isolated country, and the budding romance of two coming-of-age lovers. A tale of security and discovery, of playfulness and tragedy, of a fall from grace and the origins of faith.

My Thoughts

I did not enjoy this graphic novel as much as I have enjoyed others. I had heard good things about this one, and it was actually recommended to me by a viewer. I can see where the author was coming from with this book, but it just got kind of weird at times for my tastes. I am not opposed to religion, but I thought all of the references took away from everything else that was going on in the story. This was a very interesting coming-of-age story between brothers and lovers, but I was not blown away.


No comments:

Post a Comment