Translate

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Recently Read: Graphic Novels #1

So I have been reading a lot of graphic novels lately, but I feel like they aren't long enough to write a full review on. My thoughts we to start pairing them, so you guys can still know my thoughts on these books!


Smile by Raina Telgemeir
# of pages: 214
Average Rating: 4.14/5 vs. My Rating: 3/5

Summary
FAMILY, FRIENDS, BOYS...DENTAL DRAMA?! A true story. Raina just wants to be a normal sixth grader. But one night after Girls Scouts she trips and falls, severely injuring her two front teeth. What follows is a long and frustrating journey with on-again, off-again braces, surgery, embarrassing headgear, and even a retainer with fake teeth attached(!). And on top of all that, there's still more to deal with: a major earthquake, boy confusion, and friends who turn out to be not so friendly. Raina's story takes us from middle school to high school, where she discovers her artistic voice, finds out what true friendship really means, and where she can finally...smile.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6764756-smile

My Thoughts
I thought that this was a really quick and cute book that any one in middle grade or higher could relate to. I, personally, have had braces so I understand what the main character was dealing with to a certain level. It took me a couple of hours to read this book, so I am happier that I saved money by getting it from the library instead of buying it.





Level Up by Gene Luen Yang
# of pages: 160
Average Rating: 3.69/5 vs. My Rating: 4/5

Summary
Dennis Ouyang has always struggled in the shadow of his parents' expectations. His path is laid out for him: stay focused in high school, become a gastroenterologist. It may be hard work, but it isn't complicated...Until suddenly it is. Between his father's death, his academic burnout, and his deep (and distracting) love of video games, Dennis is nowhere near where his family wanted him to be. In fact, he's just been kicked out of college. And that's when things get...weird. Four adorable--and bossy--angels, straight out of a sappy greeting card, appear and take charge of Dennis's life. And so Dennis finds himself herded back onto the straight and narrow: the path to gastroenterology. But nothing is ever what it seems when life, magic and video games collide.


My Thoughts
I thought that this book had a solid plot that kept the story entertaining the whole way through. I don't usually read books related to video games, because I never know if I will understand the references, as I don't play a lot of games. This graphic novel made references to old games such as Super Mario, the Legend of Zelda, and Pac-Man, making it a very enjoyable story.


No comments:

Post a Comment