Translate

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 29, 2013

For One More Day Review

For One More Day

Written by Mitch Albom
# of pages: 208

Average Rating: 4.02/5
My Rating: 4/5

Read in September 2013

Summary according to goodreads

As a child, Charley "Chick" Benetto was told by his father, "You can be a mama's boy or a daddy's boy, but you can't be both." So he chooses his father, only to see the man disappear when Charley is on the verge of adolescence. 

Decades later, Charley is a broken man. His life has been crumbled by alcohol and regret. He loses his job. He leaves his family. He hits bottom after discovering his only daughter has shut him out of her wedding. And he decides to take his own life.

He makes a midnight ride to his small hometown, with plans to do himself in. But upon failing even to do that, he staggers back to his old house, only to make an astonishing discovery. His mother who died eight years earlier is still living there, and welcomes him home as if nothing ever happened.

What follows is the one "ordinary" day so many of us yearn for, a chance to make good with a lost parent, to explain the family secrets, and to seek forgiveness. Somewhere between this life and the next, Charley learns the astonishing things he never knew about his mother and her sacrifices. And he tries, with her tender guidance, to put the crumbled pieces of his life back together.


My Thoughts

"People figured I crossed the line...The truth is, there is no line. There's only your life, how you mess it up, and who is there to save you."

I am a huge fan of Mitch Albom, as The Timekeeper might be my favourite book that I have ever read. He did not disappoint with this novel, because I actually cried. It takes a lot for a book to make me cry, but this novel is so well written and anyone can relate to this. Personally I can't imagine living without my mom, so this book helped me realize how crucial every minute of life is. I felt such a connection to Chick because I have felt the same way about things, and he went through a lot of character development in this novel, making it a book to be cherished. The only reason that I could not give it five stars was because it wasn't as great as The Timekeeper, but I would give this four and a half stars if I could. 


No comments:

Post a Comment