Translate

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Forbidden Book Review

Forbidden

Written by: Tabitha Suzuma
# of pages: 454

Average Rating: 4.07/5 stars
My Rating: 5/5 stars

Published on: June 28, 2011
Read in February 2015

Summary according to Goodreads

Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives--and the way they understand each other so completely--has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.

My Thoughts

This was a novel that I had been anticipating reading for a long time, and it came very highly recommended to me. I did go into this novel with very high expectations, and luckily for me I was not disappointed! The plot was very heavy, but the writing style was so smooth and descriptive that I could not stop reading. This author used many similes in her writing, which helped get into the mood of the story. 

Please keep in mind that this is the first book regarding incest that I have rearm and it not a topic I have ever given much opinion to. I do not condone it, but from a psychological standpoint, it is something that can be blamed on the parents and/or upbringing of the kids. These two characters have a hard time relating to, and connecting with others but have found the perfect bond within each other. They have someone that knows exactly what they are going through, and are basically being parents together to their three younger siblings. 

"How can something so wrong feel so right?" I really appreciated that these characters understood the entirety of what they were doing. They weren't naive about it, they were scared. They knew it was wrong but it was overpowered by a feeling they couldn't control. It was very real. 

The song "What About Love" performed by Heart illustrates this novel so well. I would already cry listening to this song, but now I just bawl because I think of Maya and Lochan. The ending of this book was heartbreaking to read. I was completely engrossed from the last 75 pages and could not stop reading. Even after I had finished reading it, I could not stop thinking about it. 

Overall I really enjoyed this novel and although I got spoiled on the ending, that did not ruin my experience. I had just gotten so focused on what was currently happening, I wasn't even thinking about the end result. I recommend you pick up this novel if you enjoy real-life novels!



No comments:

Post a Comment