Translate

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Four Book Review

Four

Written by: Veronica Roth
Number of Pages: 208

Average Rating: 4.14/5 stars
My Rating: 4/5 stars

Published July 8th, 2014
Read in April 2016


Summary according to Goodreads

Two years before Beatrice Prior made her choice, the sixteen-year-old son of Abnegation's faction leader did the same. Tobias's transfer to Dauntless is a chance to begin again. Here, he will not be called the name his parents gave him. Here, he will not let fear turn him into a cowering child.  

Newly christened "Four," he discovers during initiation that he will succeed in Dauntless. Initiation is only the beginning, though; Four must claim his place in the Dauntless hierarchy. His decisions will affect future initiates as well as uncover secrets that could threaten his own future - and the future of the entire faction system. 

Two years later, Four is poised to take action, but the course is still unclear. The first new initiate who jumps into the net might change all that. With her, the way to righting their world might become clear. With her, it might become possible to be Tobias once again. 


My Thoughts

Since this novel is composed of four novellas and extra content, I decided to write a small review for each separately. 

The Transfer: 4/5 stars

I felt that Tobias had the same voice as Tris, making it hard to get into his head. This novella provided a much more emotional and "human" side of Four which I really appreciated. It was very interesting to see why he had chosen Dauntless, and what his initiation started like (being afraid of heights and all). 

The Initiate: 5/5 stars

The Son: 3/5 stars

The entire time that I was reading this I could not help but feel like I had read it before. I knew exactly what was going to happen, but don't remember ever reading this novella. It was a weird sense of deja vu, but wasn't too necessary to the plot (as of right now). 

The Traitor: 4/5 stars

I was very excited to start seeing the events of Divergent through Four's perspective. It did not change much in what happened between him and Tris, but instead showed us what he was doing outside of initiation training. I was not aware that Four was planning to leave Dauntless the entire time, and already had suspicions of what was to come at the end of the novel. I had not anticipated the ending of this novella, even knowing the title would tie into the story somewhere. 

Overall I really enjoyed this novellas, and am glad I read them while rereading the first two novels. 




No comments:

Post a Comment