Translate

Search This Blog

Monday, November 4, 2013

The Darkest Minds Review


The Darkest Minds

Written by: Alexandra Bracken
# of pages: 488

Average Rating: 4.30/5
My Rating: 4/5

Read in October 2013

Summary according to goodreads

When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.

My Thoughts

This book made me anxious so many times, and while reading this I could be seen with tears in my eyes. If you followed my goodreads updates, you would know that quite a few times I could only sit there and think "oh my god". There are many quotes that I loved from this book, especially from Liam, but I can't exactly share them with you without giving away some of the story. 

I went into this book "blind" which means that I had no idea what it was about before I started reading. This novel caught my attention right from the beginning, but it took me a while to catch on. It kind of gave me the feeling of X-men, but I am a fan so I didn't have a problem with it. Around the middle of the book while making their way to East River, I found that the story got a little slow but it definitely picked up within the last hundred pages.

That ending! I'm speechless. I had been warned ahead of time which led me to preorder the sequel, Never Fade, and I am so glad that I did! Sadly I've got a lot coming up in the next couple of weeks, but once that's over I'm not going to do anything but read!

Overall this book met all of the expectations I had for it, and I would highly recommend it to any reader!


1 comment:

  1. I bought this months ago after I saw Misty from the TheBookRat on YouTube haul it and I got bogged down with so many others books needing to be read first that I quite forgot about it. Now there has been a major influx of it on YouTube I'm determined to dig it out and read it because i was so excited when I first heard about it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete