Translate

Search This Blog

Friday, March 2, 2018

Dime | Book Review

Dime

Written by: E.R Frank
Number of Pages: 305

Average Rating: 4.08 / 5 stars
My Rating: 4 / 5 stars

Published: May 26, 2015
Read in March 2018


Summary According to Goodreads

As a teen girl in Newark, New Jersey, lost in the foster care system, Dime just wants someone to care about her, to love her. A family. A that is exactly what she gets - a daddy and two “wifeys.” So what if she has to go out and earn some coins to keep her place? It seems a fair enough exchange for love. 

Dime never meant to become a prostitute. It happened so gradually, she pretty much didn’t realize it was happening until it was too late. 

But when a new “wifey” joins the family and Dime finds out that Daddy doesn’t love her the way she thought she did, will Dime have the strength to leave? And will Daddy let her?


My Thoughts

Trigger warning for child abuse, sexual exploitation of minors, and prostitution. 

I have been holding onto this novel for almost three years, and only picked it up because I’d grabbed it out of my TBR jar. I am so disappointed that it took me so long to get around to, because I ended up really enjoying it. 

This is such an important novel, I wish it was getting more attention. Prostitution is something that we are all aware of, takes place everywhere, and we need to stop being so ignorant of it. Following these young girls on this journey was devastating, because all they wanted was to be loved. As a psychology student I appreciate how important childhood experiences affect maturity and development, and it was reflected in the actions of these girls. 

It took me a few chapters to adjust to the writing style and language, but once I got through it I was hooked. I could not put this novel down, and when I did it was all I could think about. This is a novel that will stick with me long after I’ve read it, especially the ending. In my opinion, this topic was handled well and concluded well, it just wasn’t perfect enough to warrant a five star rating. 

Overall, I recommend that everyone (young, old, readers or not) pick this novel up. It is real and honest, heartbreaking but motivating, and there is something for everyone to take away from. I am still thinking about this story, and look forward to reading more from this author!


1 comment: