Translate

Search This Blog

Monday, February 19, 2018

Books I Couldn't Finish in 2017

Books I DNF'd: 2017

I know this post is fairly late, but I had this note building on my phone and wanted to have it posted in case I ever want to look back on why I didn’t continue reading these novels!

 Of course I mean no offence if any of these are your favourites, I respect your opinion and hope you can respect mine.


1. The Boundless by Kenneth Oppel

     • Read: 120 pages
     • The plot didn't grab me, and I struggled to connect to the characters - I still don't know how old our main guy was
     • The synopsis tells you that there's a murder on a train, but it takes nearly a hundred pages to get to that
     • It was too fluffed for my taste, but I'm sure if I had read it younger I would have enjoyed it


2. Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

     • Read: 102 pages
     • I found these characters to be extremely flat, and there was no real plot line. I expected this novel to be a mystery-thriller about the death of a young girl, but instead it followed all of the members of her family. They led basic, typical lives involving various secrets that were not interesting at all.
     • It is a very short novel that read extremely slowly




 3. Binge by Tyler Oakley

     • Read: 117 pages
     • I picked this novel up when it first came out a couple years ago, because I was a big Tyler fan. Today? Not so much. I slowly grew out of his humour, and I think that reflected on my reading experience.
     • I didn't find any of his stories interesting or funny, and I couldn't convince myself to read any further. This is the first YouTuber memoir I've given up on, and one of the few I haven't enjoyed.
     • I'm sure if I'd picked this up when I was still a fan, I would have enjoyed it more. I still support Tyler in all his endeavours, but this wasn't a book for me.


4. Night Film by Marisha Pessl

     • Read: 130
     • This was so painfully slow for me. I tried reading it physical form as well as audiobook, and could not get into the story. It all felt so flat and boring
     • I didn't care much for the writing, and don't think I'm missing out on anything. I'm disappointed because I was so excited to read it, but it wasn't my cup of tea I suppose.


5. Famous Last Words by Katie Alender

     • Read: 125 pages 
     • This was supposed to be a thriller young adult read, but I found it boring and typical.
     • I could feel a love triangle brewing in the plot, and I didn’t care for where the story was going. It followed every generic line that it could, and the characters were too flat to be interesting. 


6. Struck by Lightning by Chris Colfer

     • Read: 45 pages
     • I am so disappointed that I didn’t like this one. I am a huge fan of Chris, but this was just not enjoyable.
     • My biggest issue was definitely the main character Carson Phillips, as I found him rude and holier-than-thou. Because this novel is told through his journal entries, I knew I wouldn’t be able to push my way through it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment