Translate

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Everything, Everything Book Review


Written by: Nicola Yoon
Number of pages: 320

Average Rating: 4.04/5 stars
My Rating: 3/5 stars

Published: September 1, 2015
Read in February 2016

Summary according to Goodreads 

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I'm allergic to the world. I don't leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla. 

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He's tall, lean and wearing all black - black t-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly. 

Maybe we can't predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It's almost certainly going to be a disaster. 

My Thoughts

Considering how busy I had been while reading this, I am very surprised it only took me a few days to get through. I read it as an ebook on my iPad, borrowed from the library, and found it to be a very quick read. There are a few illustrations though out, and not every page had words from top to bottom - making it a very quick read. 

I really enjoyed the characters, and the relationship between Olly and Madeline. Throughout the story there was a lot of development, but nothing drastic. 

There is, of course, a plot twist near the end of the story, but unfortunately I saw it coming almost immediately. The writing style was nothing too intriguing or thought-provoking, and instead found the sentences to be short and not developed. It didn't follow a "train of thought" kind of style, and instead was clipped as if she (Madeline) was thinking in statements and not emotions. 

Overall, it was not a bad story, considering this was the first novel published by this author. Although the beginning was much better than the end, I enjoyed it as an overall story. 


No comments:

Post a Comment