Translate

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Harder I Fall Review

The Harder I Fall

Written by: Jessica Gibson
# of pages: 215

Average Rating: 3.68/5
My Rating: 4/5

Read in June 2014

Summary according to goodreads


Becca Langer was not a normal girl, she didn't have normal girl problems. For most of her life, she’s had to take care of herself, her younger brother Chad, and her drunk mother. She’s lived under the shadow of what her father did when she was ten years old. Forever branded by his actions.

College was her escape, she could get away and finally live. Her dream was to make it in the New York Ballet Company one day. That for her meant a long road full of hard work and dedication. She didn't have time for distractions, and Levi Klein was definitely a distraction.

Will Levi be able to crack through her tough exterior and really see the wounded soul underneath? Becca needs to be loved, but the question is, will she let Levi love her?

My Thoughts


I received an ebook copy of this book to review, however that does not influence my opinion of the novel.


This book is such a quick, cute, and easy read with a plot that is perfect to read in the summer. In the beginning of the novel I found Levi, the love interest, to be kind of pushy, but I think that he grew as a character throughout the story. There was actually a significant amount of character development for Becca considering her life, and it was good to experience her growth.

Since this is such a short story, there were many parts that felt rushed. I can understand that since this story took place over the course of a school year, and it was only 200 pages that there wasn't a lot of time. However, I felt that some parts did not get the attention they deserved. 

I could so easily relate to this character, and I know you guys will too, that it was simple to have an attachment to her. I was so excited for her at Christmas, and so envious that she got to spend it in New York. Reading about her experience for the first time in the city - seeing Times Square and Broadway, etc - made me nostalgic of my first time there only a number of weeks ago. Her whole trip makes me want to go back and visit so much more. Another way that I could relate is in the upcoming fall I will be attending college across the country in which I am living, and she made me so excited for that adventure.

Although the characters in this story are 18/19, I would consider it to be New Adult because of the content and them being in college. 
I have not read many New Adult novels, but I know some people are hesitant to pick it up because of sexual content. In this novel there were some "adult" moments, but it was non-descriptive, leaving the reader comfortable with the situation.

One of the lines in this book is; "I promise you, I will always catch you." And just, AHH THE FEELS.

I would have easily given this book five stars if it hadn't been for that ending. I am not going to discuss it in too much detail because I don't want to spoil it, but I was very disappointed. This wasn't how I expected Becca to act, especially considering all she had come through, and I found it to be a very rash decision. 

There is a companion novel coming out told from Becca's brother Chad's perspective, and I am very interested in reading it. I enjoyed the writing style of this novel quite a bit, so I look forward to reading other works from this other.

P.S, This book is currently only $1.00 and some change for kindle, so I totally recommend you guys give it a try! Click here to view it on Amazon!



No comments:

Post a Comment