Translate

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Miss Peregrine's Graphic Novel Review

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: Graphic Novel

Written by: Ransom Riggs
Art by: Cassandra Jean
# of pages: 272

Average Rating: 4.13/5
My Rating: 4/5

Read in March 2014

Summary according to goodreads

Ransom Riggs's haunting fantasy bestseller adapted to a graphic novel! 
As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow-impossible though it seems-they may still be alive.


My Thoughts

This book is now one of my favourite graphic novels. The art was so well done, it helped me as a reader to better see and understand what the author visualized as he was writing the original novel. 

I wasn't the biggest fan of the original book as I was disappointed, but this graphic novel made me really enjoy it and realize how good it was. Having this book to make me reflect on was a positive as it made me even more excited to read the sequel, Hollow City. I chose to pick up the graphic novel before reading Hollow City because it had been over a year since I had picked up this series. I am very glad I did because there were some details that I had forgotten about the original story. 

This book was just so well made, both as a hardcover and the pictures inside. The pages were nice and thick, but were also coloured when Jacob was at the house, which I think added a lot to the story. Having the different colours of art helped add life to the story when necessary, and tone it down when called for. Hopefully they do a graphic novel for Hollow City as well, because I think they would also do a good job on that one.


No comments:

Post a Comment