Translate

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

One of Those Hideous Books … Guest Reviewer

This book was reviewed by my lovely mom because I am aware that people in different age groups will have different perceptions of books. I personally loved this book (it wasn't my favourite, I gave it four stars) so I was curious to know what my mom thought. …Plus I didn't have another review to post. 

One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies

Written by Sonya Sones
# of pages: 272

Average Rating: 3.95/5
My Mom's Rating: 5/5

Read in December 2013

Summary according to goodreads

My name is Ruby
This book is about me. 

It tells the deeply hideous story of what happens when my mother dies and I'm dragged three thousand miles away from my gorgeous boyfriend, Ray, to live in L.A. with my father, who I've never even met because he's such a scumbag that he divorced my mom before I was born. 
The only way I've ever even seen him is in the movies, since he's this mega-famous actor who's been way too busy trying to win Oscars to even visit me once in fifteen years. 
Everyone loves my father.
Everyone but me.

Her Thoughts

This book made me actually laugh out loud. Even though it was written in verse, it was very descriptive - I could easily visualize the characters and their surroundings. I believe that this is a realistic depiction of a fifteen year old struggling with change.

Ruby started off being a hater of everything but in the end learned how to forgive and love. There was a significant amount of character development in this novel, and the definitely helped strengthen the story. I loved when she dreamt about her mother and how there were different influences from her mother, almost as though she was really there with her. I also thought it was really touching when she realized her dad truly cared about her, and they began developing a relationship. Very heartwarming!

Something I would change is the emails Ruby sent to her mother. I loved that she wrote to her, but I didn't like some of the comments that she made about her being dead. Non-spoiling, but these included; "How are things in the casket" and "how are things in decomposville?". I found these to be a bit offensive, instead of funny. I also don't think that this should be defined as only a "young adult" book, as anyone would enjoy it.

This was a very quick read, as it was entertaining as well as written in verse. One of Those Hideous Books is my favourite to date, and I am becoming a huge fan of Sonya Sones. I am looking forward to reading all of her books. 


No comments:

Post a Comment